Assisting those new to our country

May 6th, 2015 | Posted by Sr. Pamela Marie Buganski in Uncategorized

An emotional experience occurred last Friday night at the  Greyhound bus station in downtown San Antonio.

Alyssa Weinfurtner and Priscilla Avila, volunteers at the South Texas Human Rights Center, and I arrived to join other volunteers and learn from them how to care for the mothers and children who are released on bond from the Dilley Detention Center, and dropped off at the bus station in a van from Dilley each weekday night. We got to the bus station around 8:30 pm.

As we approached from one direction, we saw a group of women and children approaching from another.  As we held the door for them to enter the bus station, it suddenly dawned on me, that these were the persons whom we were meant to serve.  (Only God would arrange that we would arrive at the exact same time!  It was God’s way of showing us right from the start who was in charge of the evening!)

busstationHow did I know that these four mothers and five children were the ones just released from Dilley?  All the tell-tale signs:  No luggage, ill-fitting clothing, carrying a similar box lunch, looking scared.

The women and children moved toward one area of the old station and sat down together.  We looked around to find the volunteers who were to help them.  No volunteers.  Just us!  (We learned the volunteers were unable to go and did not get substitutes.)

We began by introducing ourselves in Spanish to one of the women and explaining our purpose in being there.  The look in the woman’s eyes is still before me…that reserved for ghosts or angels!  She hurried over to the others to tell them about us.

Each of us accompanied one mother with her child(ren) to the ticket desk while the fourth mother held their space in the station. The first woman was with Alyssa; everything was okay and she received her bus tickets based on the receipt she was carrying saying that a family member had purchased the ticket.  She would be taking a short trip to another Texas town with her six- year-old daughter, though her bus didn’t leave until 4:00 a.m.!

Priscilla accompanied the second mother and her five-year-old daughter. Again, all was in order and they received their tickets.  They, however, were taking a three-day bus trip.  As Priscilla continued to talk with her she realized that the woman had a money order but no money.  There was no way to cash the money order nearby at night.  Two of us gave her our last $20 bills so that she would have food along the way.

I accompanied the third mother, Eda, and her four-year-old son.  We also received the tickets.  Just as the others had done, I walked Eda through where the clock was on the wall and where she would stand in line when the 4:00 a.m. bus arrived. Eda had not seen her mom in seven  years and her son had never met his grandmother.

By this time, Alyssa was already working with the fourth mother, Elsy, who had a four- year-old daughter and a 12- year-old son with her.  Elsy’s paperwork was different than that of the others.  When Alyssa and the family approached the ticket desk, the number was not in the system.  Hmmm…..  Alyssa spoke with the family member several times on her phone.  An employee of the station finally helped us to realize that the ticket was good at a Tornado Bus Station not the Greyhound bus station!  The woman and the others were in a panic!  Of course, we would take her to the other station.

Before leaving the others at the Greyhound station, we each had time to say good-bye.  Each consisted of a long embrace and many tears on both sides. We told them about keeping their children with them at all times and about watching out for one another.  The ‘God bless you’s’ were in abundance.  We assured them of our continued prayers.  During this short time, there was already some laughter among us despite the sadness of the situation.

We got into the truck and drove Elsy and her children about 20 minutes to the Tornado Bus Station.  On the way, we heard more of their about crossing of the border.  Elsy had crossed the border with four of her children.  At some point, she realized that her 14-year-old daughter was no longer with the group. Her 18-year-old son went back to look for his sister telling his mother to continue on with the two youngest.  Elsy was apprehended on the US side of the border with her two children by the Border Patrol shortly afterward.  They were put though the system of processing which includes being in the hierlera, the ice box or freezer, as it is known.  Here persons are deliberately moved with minimal clothing to a very cold place where they will stay for hours or days.  It was in the hierlera that Elsy caught the eye of her son who signaled that he had not found his sister.  The son has already been deported back to El Salvador.  Elsy does not know where her daughter is.

What an emotional trauma!  How in the world was Elsy able to hold it together?  In our good-bye at the Tornado Bus Station where we placed Elsy in the care of a bus station Catholic employee, Elsy sobbed quietly when I told her during my hug that she was a good mother.

All of us had a difficult time getting to sleep after that experience.  We could not imagine what the women would have done, especially Elsy, without volunteers to help.

We trust that if God had taken such good care of the four families through our service, He would surely get them safely to their destinations.

Once again, timely miracles would not happen without the goodness and providence of God.

Thank you for your continued support and prayers!

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 You can leave a response, or trackback.

One Response

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Captcha Question: * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.